The Small Business Enterprise (SBE) Program is a certification program that offers yet another opportunity for small businesses in the Tucson Metropolitan Area to potentially do business with the City of Tucson . It is a program that fosters economic growth and serves to enhance business opportunities for local firms.
The SBE Program is a race and gender neutral program in that, SBE applicants may be representative of any and all ethnic and gender groups.
This SBE program offers incentives to small businesses interested in doing business with the City of Tucson on contracts administered by the Procurement Department, which may include, bid preferences and subcontracting goals for construction, goods, services, and materials.
In general, small businesses interested in pursuing an SBE Certification must meet the following criteria:
- Owner(s) must be U. S. citizens or lawfully admitted permanent resident of the U.S.
- Must meet the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) size standard
- Shall have gross receipts of the firm, that when averaged over a three-year period, do not exceed gross income limits for the type of business activity identified that corresponds with the Small Business Administration size standard
- Business is located in the Tucson Metropolitan Area
- Has been organized as a for-profit business
- Owner(s) must control the business and have the expertise and technical knowledge to operate, manage, and participate in the day-to-day functions of the business
- Personal net worth of each owner (individually) must not exceed $1.3 million excluding the owner's(s') equity interest in their personal residence and the value of the owner's interest in the business applying for certification
- Submit a completed Arizona Unified Certification Program (Tucson AZUCP) application with all required documentation
- Obtain and maintain appropriate local, State, Federal, and professional licenses as required
- Register as a vendor with the City of Tucson Procurement Department at
- http://www.tucsonprocurement.com then Click on Vendors; Click on Vendor Registration and provide the requested information.
How to Apply For Certification
- Click on this link to obtain the SBE Application Form (pdf) or
- Contact the Procurement Department/SBE-DBE Program at (520) 837-4007 during regular business hours:
Mon. – Fri. 8:00 a.m. – 5:p.m. (Mountain Standard Time).
- Many small businesses may also qualify as a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise. Only one application and one set of supporting documentation is required even when multiple categories are identified.
- Review the checklist to make sure that all required documentation is included with your application. Failure to include required documentation may result in an application being returned and/or certification delayed or denied.
- SBE Ordinance 10993
- SBE Application Form (pdf)
- SBE Directory (pdf)
- SBE Alpha Directory (pdf)
- SBE Plan (PDF)
- SBE Plan (Word)
- Prime Contractor Report of Subcontractor Utilization (PDF)
- Prime Contractor Report of Subcontractor Utilization (Word)
- Subcontractor Substandard Performance Report (PDF)
- Subcontractor Substandard Performance Report (Word)